sspan class="mw-headline" id="History">History
Is a town and municipality in Italy, capitol of the Tuscan provincial town of Arezzo (Italian pronunciation:[a?rettso]). Areazzo is situated about 80 kilometers south east of Florence at an altitude of 296 meters above sealevel. Arezzo ( Aritim in Etruscan) is described by Levy as one of the twelve most important towns in Etruscans - the so-called Dodecapolis, which belong to the group.
Other important remains of the past are the wall, an extruscan stronghold on the Poggio del Sole (today called "Sun Mountain") and especially the two bronze statues, the "Chimera of Arezzo" (5th c. BC) and the "Minerva" (4th c. BC), found in the sixteenth c. and brought to Florence.
The growing trading relations with Greece also gave the noble Etruscans of Arezzo some élite estates: the crater that Euphronios drew around 510 B.C., representing a fight against Amazons (in the Museo Civico, Arezzo 1465), is topped. In 261 A.D. the councillor of Arezzo devoted an epigraph to his protector L. Petronius Taurus Volusianus.
Arezzo became a bishop's see in the third to fourth centuries: it is one of the few towns whose successes are still known by name today, not least because they were the town' s vassals in the Middle Ages. In 1098 the municipality of Arezzo lost sovereignty over its runner and was an autonomous city-state until 1384.
Following the Battle of Campaldino (1289), in which Guglielmino Ubertini (it), Archbishop, died, the fate of Ghibelline Arezzo began, apart from a brief time under the Tarlati dynasty, the colonel of them Guido Tarlati, who became a runner in 1312 and had good connections with the Ghibelline Caucus.
In 1384 Arezzo gave in to Florence's rule; his personal story was summarized by that of Florence and the Medicean Grand Duchy of Tuscany. At that time he worked in the San Francesco di Arezzo Cathedral and made the magnificent frescos, recently renovated, which are Arezzo's most renowned works.
In the Köppen climatic category, Arezzo is either a moist tropical climatic area or an Atlantic climatic area (Cfa/Cfb) that tends towards it. Piazza Grande is the most remarkable mediaeval plaza in the town and opens behind the roman iceberg of Santa Maria della Pieve from the thirteenth cenury. Besides the vestibule of the cathedral there are other emblems of the square:
Fraternita de Laici: Palace from the 14th to 15th centuries, with a Gothic basement and a quotrocento second storey by Bernardo Rossellino. The Episcopal Palace, home of the runners, reconstructed in the middle of the 13th centrury. Inside there are frescos by Salvi Castellucci, Teofilo Torri and Pietro Benvenuti. It'?s Santa Maria in the Pieve:
One of the most distinctive features of this roman icurch is the solid, rectangular belfry with twin orders of window arch. Constructed in the twelfth centuries on top of an already existent Paleo-Christian building, the building was restored a hundred years later with its typical facade of small arched balconies and all the different pillars.
From the same period is also the statue of the Virgin between two angels and the sculpture of the month (1216) above the front door. The interior has a church aisle and two corridors, with a transverse aisle also added in the thirteenth centuries. During the following centuries, shrines, niches and frescos were added, among them the Virgin with Child and Saints polychon by Pietro Lorenzetti (1320).
In 1560 the Pieve was restored by Giorgio Vasari. The Cathedral of Saint Donatus (13th - early XVI century): This Gothic church's facade remains incomplete and was added in the 20 th ct. There is a painting of the Madeleine by the artist Pierre Francesca in the right side wing. Inside there is a one-aisled church: the principal feature is the story of Pierre Francesca's true Cross Fresos (1453-1464) in the Bacci Chapel.
Below the basilica there is another basilica with a aisle and two naves (Basilica inferiore), now used for artistic expositions. San Domenico Basilica (founded in 1275 and finished at the beginning of the fourteenth century): Further works of workmanship are the Saints Philip and James the Younger and Catherine by Spinello Aretino and other paintings and sculptures from the fourteenth centuries.
Can Michele: This sanctuary has a contemporary facade. Saint Maria in Gradi This mediaeval temple was originally constructed in the eleventh or twelfth centuries, but rebuilt by Bartolomeo Ammannati at the end of the sixteenth centuries. Inside there is a unique ship with rock altarpieces (17th century) and a Madonna by Misericordia, terrace by Andrea Robbia.
The St. Augustine Cathedral, established in 1257, was rebuilt at the end of the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. It has a rectangular belfry dating from the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. Sante Flora e Lucilla (12th century): Benedictine friars rebuilt the monastery in the twelfth and sixteenth century respectively, under the supervision of Giorgio Vasari.
You can also see a St. Lawrence Fresco by Bartolomeo of Gatta (1476) and a cross by Segna di Buonaventura (1319). Reconstructed in the thirteenth and thirteenth centuries and renovated in 1538, it was completely reconstructed in 1705. There is also a main altarpiece in white by Andrea of Robbia with an already preserved painting by Parri di Spinello (1428-1431).
Constructed between 1435 and 1444, the temple has a small shrine with the title of St Bernardino. There has a baroque interiors, but with an alter by an employee of Andrea Robbia da Robbia. Trinità Santissima: This temple was constructed in 1348 and completely restored in baroque styles in 1723-1748. Saint Maria Maddalena, 1561 above a 14th cent. building.
San Paolo Baptistery, built in San Paolo as a pre-Christian baptistery, reconstructed in the 8th to 9th millennia and then reconstructed in the thirteenth millenium in romanticism. After the 1796 quake, the whole temple was restored. Here are frescos by Lorentino d'Andrea from the fifteenth cent. and a small room with a small table. There is a transverse ship entry with pillars of stone with granite capital from the fifth millennium AD.
It has a chancel from the twelfth and the remainder from the eleventh centuries. It was mentioned in a document in 1064 and replaces a pre-Christian baptistery. It was reconstructed in the front in the 14th centuries. Inside the vestibule there are frescos from the fifteenth centuries and a wood Madonna with Child from the same year.
It has been repeatedly restructured and refurbished; inside there is a courtyard from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, a bronze sculpture of a Madonna with Child (1339), frescos, Busts of famous Aretines, two pictures by Giorgio Vasari. At the beginning of the 19. cent. it was partially disassembled by the French. The Palazzo Camaiani-Albergotti (14th c., refurbished in the XVI century), with the Torre del Bigazza.
Facade has a crest of Captain, Podest and Commissioner of the town from 14th to eighteenth centuries. In Arezzo there is an ancient feast every year known as the Saracen joust (Giostra del Saracino). Between 1986 and 2006 a pop and cultural event entitled Arezzo Wave took place in Arezzo every year in July.
Since 2007, it has been superseded by the 2007 Arezzo Art Festival which is still dedicated to rocking arts and involves locals. Arezzo has a leading part in Roberto Benignis movie Leben Is Beautiful by La vita è beatlla (1997). View category: Inhabitants of Arezzo, including those who were actually borne in the city. Arezzo' partner: Firenze and Arezzo.
The frescoes by Arezzo. Minerva of Arezzo. Arezzo Chimera.