Arc de Triomphetriumphal arch
On the Place de l'Étoile on the summit of the Champs-Élysées, a nationwide icon, you' ll find the Arc de Triomphe. The architect Jean-François Chalgrin was influenced by the Titus arc of Rome in a unique arc, but went beyond it by unusual proportions (about 50 metres high, 45 metres long and 22 metres wide) and abandoned pillars.
In 1806 Napoleon sought the Arc de Triomphe, which was consecrated in 1836 by the Louis-Philippe, Emperor of France, who devoted it to the forces of revolution and empire. In 1921, the unidentified military man was laid to rest at the foot of the bow. N.B. To guarantee the protection of our guests, the memorial applies the strict rules laid down by the public authority.
Visit Paris Sights
Although there were many changes from the initial blueprints that reflected changes in politics and struggle for control, the Arch retained the essential nature of the initial idea, which was a strong, united group. Triomphe Arc is at the heart of Place Charles de Gaulle, also known as Place de l'Étoile.
This triumphant bow honours those who struggled for France, especially those who struggled during the Napoleonic War. On the inside and at the top of the bow all men's war and general's names are inscribed. It is the hub of the historical centre (L'Axe historique), a series of memorials and major traffic routes that extend from the inner court of the Louvre Palace to the suburbs of Paris.
Arc de Triomphe is at 49. After two years of burying the Undercover Trooper, Gabriel Boissy, a writer and writer, introduced the concept of a commemorative fire, which was immediately enthusiastically accepted by the population. Maginot lit the fire for the first the 11th November 1923, amidst a variety of former fighters.
Every day a ceremony honours the Great Dead: every night at half past six a half past six a fire is lit again by one of the nine hundred groups of former fighters who have joined together under the club La Flamme thusus l'Arc de Triomphe. At three o'clock in the afternoons of 26 August 1844, before he descended in triumph to Champs-Elysees in freed Paris, General Charles de Gaulle came to lie down at the tomb of the unidentified soldiers the cross of Lorraine in bloom.
The Arc de Triomphe has been the setting for all major festivals since then: November 11, May 8 and of course the folk festival of July 14. From 1916 the concept of opening the Pantheon's door was born, so that "one of the unidentified troops who bravely perished for his country" could be found on whose grave only two words were written: "A soldier" and the date "1914-191?
The Chamber of Representatives resolved on 12 November 1919 to transfer the anonymised remnants of the dead body of the fighting fighter to the Pantheon. Binet-Valmer conducted a vicious compaign to bury this unidentified military man under the Arc de Triomphe. The parliamentarians passed a bill on November 8, 1920, which was also passed by the Senate and which bestowed the Pantheon's honour "to the remnants of a 1914-1918 war".
On November 10, 1920, at three o'clock in the afternoons, a young infantryman placed a bunch of blossoms (from the Verdun battlefield) on one of eight identically shaped caskets returned from different areas at the front in a log house in the Verdun Citadel:
At the 11th of November the armour carrying the Leon Gambetta hearts and the turret with the remnants of the Unidentified Soldier came back to the Arc de Triomphe. Unidentified Soldier's Catafalk was raised into one of the building's inner rooms. Until the definitive degradation on January 28, 1921, a standing watch was organised at the center of the main arc directed towards the Champa-Elysées.
At the end of this ceremonial, the stranger was finally placed in his grave, where he still stands today.