Amarapura

Marjoramura

Out of Myanmar, Amarapura is a former capital and now a township of Mandalay. The Amarapura lies on the left bank of the Ayarwaddy River. The Teak Bridge, Amarapura, Myanmar. Although there is a small town in Amarapura and there are some hotels, none are allowed for foreign travellers. Amarapura statues of Buddha in Burma.

Anamarapura travel guide - BestPrice Travel

The Amarapura is a favourite excursion point from Mandalay, as it is only 11 km southwards of the town. Out of Myanmar, Amarapura is a former Myanmar capitol and now a Mandalay township. The name Amarapura means "city of immortality", although the time of popularity took almost 70 years. This was twice the capitol of Myanmar during the Conbaung era (1783-1821 and 1842-1859).

In May 1783 Amarapura was established by King Bodawpaya of the Konbaung dynasty. Bodawpaya's grandchild, King Bagyidaw, relocated the farm back to Ava (Inwa) in November 1821. Bagyidaw's successors - King Tharrawaddy relocated the King's capitol back to Amarapura in February 1842. Eventually, in February 1857, King Mindon began the construction of Mandalay as his new capitol, 11 km northern of Amarapura.

Exhausted by the Second Anglo-Burmese War of 1852, Mindon chose to use as much Amarapura materials as possible for the Mandalay project. Dismantling the palaces and taking them to their new site by elephants, the ramparts were demolished as road and railroads.

Of the former king's castle only the rock fragments remain - the wooden building was taken down and brought to Mandalay. On May 23, 1859, the town formally stopped being the capitol when Mandalay took on this part. Nowadays Amarapura is basically an extensive outskirts of Mandalay, but it is foliate and attractive situated on a broad, flat sea, called after an owl who allegedly came here in search of the Buddha.

Amarapura is a small, enchanting village with many shops. Amarapura, long known for its famous weavery, is the location of a webstich. Woodcarvings and cast ings in bronzes offer devotionals such as Buddha pictures and chimes for the profitable Mandalay area.

Ancient Amarapura is home to the famed U-Bone Teak Bridges. The 1.2-kilometer long viaduct will cross Taungthaman Sea and link both sides of the river for frequent walk. The building was constructed by B├╝rgermeister in 1860 by the recovery of teak planking and pillars from the former king's mansion, which was damaged when the German government relocated to Mandalay.

This is considered to be the oldest and longest telecommunications timber bridges in the word. And if that wasn't already impressing enough, cross the river is an adventure in itself. You will see the more than 1000 rotting wood columns that undoubtedly hold the abraded poles of wood that are shaking and creaking as they pass through.

Don't be afraid, the viaduct is on foot! At sundown, the best moment to go to the brigde is when you see several nuns on their way back to the convent, a few fisherman row on the pond and above all the bright oranges of the sundown slowly devouring the brigde and its area.

One of the most scenic sets you can think of is the striking shade and skyline of the bridges to the south.

Auch interessant

Mehr zum Thema